Monday, January 28, 2008

Hunter Leaves His Incubator

Today was an absolutely wonderful day for our little Hunter. I guess technically it was last night, but we didn't see until today so I'm going to say today. Hunter was moved out of his isolette and into a regular baby crib! Now we can walk right up to him, see him, touch him, and pick him up without asking the nurse to get him out of his bed.

Nurse said that last night shortly after we left they took his temperature and it was a little bit high (not like a fever though). His incubator had already been set at the lowest temperature so they decided to try him without it. So far he is doing wonderful in there, it's so different being able to just reach out and hold his little hands. Oh those little hands, they are so adorable and cause so much trouble. He likes to sneak his fingers up around his cannula and pull it right out of his nose. I had to yell at him several times while we were there earlier today, "Hunter! That's a no-no!"

To make sure that he's able to keep his weight up they are adding 30 calories to each meal now. Doctor says thats the maximum they can do, and rarely go above 27. He increased it a little bit since Hunter's weight gain seems to have hit a plateau right over the 3 1/2 lb mark. Last I heard he was at 3 lbs, 13 oz.

Doctor who saw him today hasn't seen him in three weeks, so he was pleasantly surprised to see how much he has changed over this time. Around the last time he had Hunter we were talking a lot about Chronic Lung Disease, so I figured I'd ask him for an update. Doctor says he thinks Hunter will have a "mild to moderate" case, and he should have no trouble getting through it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! This is such a huge step for little Hunter! He seems to be doing so well... When Hunter comes home, we need to have a preemie party so he and his friends can share stories! Keep up the great work Hunter. We love you!
-The Linsky's

Anonymous said...

He's such a cutie! He has had such great progress in the last 3 weeks! I'm sure you both love just being able to pick him up anytime you want. Keep up the great work everyone! We love you!

Mom (Mary Ann)