Mommy, Alyssa, and Gavin still have a cold. I'm trying my best to not get sick, but for the sake of Hunter and everyone else at the NICU we're going to be staying away for a while.
That doesn't mean there aren't any updates though. We called the hospital several times today to check on him. It has been quite a day, in a good way. This morning they made the big decision to take Hunter off of the oscillator. Dr. M decided that Hunter is ready to move on to the conventional ventilator, isn't that exciting?!
This isn't the first time he's been on the ventilator, he has been twice before only to be put back on the oscillator. There's definitely a part of me that doesn't want to get too excited in case it happens again. This is too big of an accomplishment to not celebrate though, so despite my reservations I can't keep from smiling. He's doing very well on his oxygen as well; yesterday he was at about 30% (as a reminder again, room air is 21% oxygen) and today he is down to 26%.
I think it was yesterday I wrote about his digesting, or not digesting, of milk. Today he has had more trouble with it, they checked at lunch time and he hadn't digested any of his breakfast. So Hunter had breakfast again for lunch today. The nurse says that it's not a big deal and is fairly common for kids who are on breathing machines. His body needs some time to adjust to doing all of the things it needs to do.
Since we're not going in to visit tonight I'm not going to be able to take a picture. We're very lucky to have some of the greatest nurses on the planet though. When I was on the phone with his nurse she asked if we were still coming in tonight. I told her that we didn't want to take any chances of getting him sick, especially with things going so well right now. Nurse knows that we take a picture every day and she offered to take a picture for us. If she doesn't have time before she leaves she's going to pass the mission on to the night nurse. It's nice that he has nurses who care to even notice these things and offer to help.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
"Everybody is Sick" or "Hunter's Great Nurses"
Posted by Bobby at 5:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Way to Go Hunter!! Sorry to hear everyone else is sick. Hope Bobby stays healthy.
Love,
Nana (Mary Ann)
Maybe Hunter is holding out for Doritos!
I loved the "peeking out" video yesterday. How precious!
Aunt Jude
Hi Bobby and Caity,
I'm so glad that Hunter is doing better. I think the big candle that I lit for him at church is working! I loved watching the video of Hunter opening his eyes. I watched it over and over. I can't wait to see that in person. I hope you will all be feeling better soon. Give Alyssa and Gavin a hug from me. I miss having them around.
Love, Mom (Mary)
Good job Hunter - everyone at the hotel is thrilled that you are getting better - keep up the good work!!!
Post a Comment