Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hunter's Hard Day

Yesterday Hunter had one of his hardest days in a while. Starting Sunday they began collecting his urine over a 24 hour period to try and determine the cause of his kidney stones. His catheter came out about half way through so they had to put it back in. And then after the 24 hours were up they sent it down to the lab only to find that they had messed up. They had forgotten to add a preservative to his urine, it was no longer "fresh" and they weren't able to test it.

Hunter now needs to go through another 24 hours of urine collection. They tried to start it yesterday, but something went wrong and he now has blood in his urine again. Nurse says it's most likely the catheter didn't go in right and scraped against his insides somewhere. They cannot collect the urine while there is blood in it, so they have to wait for that to stop and he was given another IV so he could begin receiving antibiotics (so his pee pee doesn't get infected).

He also received an ultrasound yesterday to take a look at the kidney stones, the only results I've heard regarding that is that he definitely has kidney stones. Nobody knows why yet. I did get to speak with Nurse more about the stones and she helped clear it up a bit. It is very rare for a baby to have kidney stones, I must have misunderstood Other Nurse when she said several babies had them. I also asked why they had to call a specialist for advice. She very kindly reminded me that they are a women's hospital, and they don't have specialists for that kind of thing in the building.

Along with all this excitement, Hunter was also moved back onto 3 liters of oxygen flow, and at 80% at that. This is pretty much a step back to the day he was taken off of CPAP.

Time for some good news. I was holding him, rocking with him, and singing to him last night. While I was doing this he was breathing very well. His rate stayed in the 30-60/minute range (good) and his oxygen saturation was up around 95-97% (very good).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Hunter that you had a hard day. I hope they get everything right the next time they test you for the stones. Congrats on your new room! If you need a decorator let me know:) We love you Hunter! (You are looking so good in your pictures!)
-Emily

Anonymous said...

Hunter, I'm very sorry to hear about your pee pee. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I can't wait to hold you. You have grown so much since I saw you. Stay strong. Love Gretchen.

Jennifer said...

From what you said Bobby it sounds like when you guys are with him he is breathing better. Maybe since the kids are at Aunt Kays this week Caity could go and spend a day with him. The nurses must not be holding him and singing to him enough, you might want to mention that to them!