Monday, May 19, 2008

Big Old Boy

It sounds like yesterday was a very interesting day for my little Hunter. I didn't get in to visit him until around 9 o'clock p.m. When I got to his room I was surprised to see four nurses standing around him. I was even more surprised to see that one of them was his day nurse, she must have worked a 14 or 15 hour day just for Hunter.

The reason they were all there was because they were having some trouble with his PICC line. From what I've heard a PICC is a more permanent version of an IV. This was a long thin tube (about 30 cm or one foot) that went from his thumb all the way into his heart. He had this because he is going to be on the antibiotics until he has his surgery, then he'll be fed through it while the G-tube heals. This also means less poking (IVs are replaced every day or so).

Anyway, since he is an active sweaty baby he was slowly pulling the PICC out of his thumb. This could have lead to another infection. They spent a few hours trying to get the PICC to work but eventually had to drop that idea and do an IV for the night. Tomorrow there is a specialist coming in to insert a PICC into the artery that runs down his thigh.

After all of this excitement he was exhausted and we got to spend some quality cuddling time together. As I was holding him he was looking me straight in the eye. I smiled at him and he smiled back. His smile was so big he dropped the pacifier right out of his mouth. Of course that made him angry and I didn't get any more smiles for the night. That one was precious enough though.

3 comments:

Emily said...

What a sweet story. I can just picture the whole thing in my head:) I hope everything goes well today with incerting the PICC (I think that was what you called it) We love you all!

Aunt Pat said...

Oh - how precious, a Kodak moment.

Praying for God's best for Hunter.

Gretchen said...

Hunter must really love you to put on a smile even after the day he had. I hope the PICC goes better today. I can't wait to see him smile!