Wednesday, December 26, 2007

So Much Going On

There has been so much going on today and my thoughts are somewhat scattered, but I'll give it my best.

The blood culture showed bacteria in Hunter's blood which means he has some sort of an infection. His doctor last night said it could take up to 48 hours for results to show, his started to show within two hours. They are still unable to tell what kind of infection it is and that will take closer to the full 48 hours to diagnose. In the meantime the antibiotics he is on seem to be working and he is getting better. Hunter's nurse told me that it seemed that he was trying to tell everyone that he was sick and it just took a while for everyone to listen.

They did the echo cardiogram today to do a second check of his heart. Although the cardiologist hasn't looked at it yet the technician who did the test (and is supposedly very good) said that she didn't see anything wrong. Hunter aced that test again!

Hunter's blood pressure is better, too. They had put him on dopamine to help, he was on a low dosage this morning, but he's gotten to the point where he doesn't need it any more. His nurse keeps some right at his bedside though just in case.

I've taken a picture every day of his life except for today. When I went to visit he had a blanket covering his face and the oscillator was making his little chest bounce up and down. It is an image that I would rather not remember.

I can't speak for Mommy, but I never thought that this would be as emotionally difficult as it has been over this short time. Everyone who has been through this has said that and the doctors and nurses warned us too. I guess I thought I could handle it, but this is turning out to be the biggest challenge that we have ever had to face. I'm very thankful for all the support we've had from everyone, it has helped tremendously.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're all praying for you and baby Hunter.