Mommy and I just got home from the hospital where we were able to speak with Hunter's nurse and doctor to find out more about the call last night. Hunter's doctor likes to use real big words and even when he simplifies it for us regular folks he still has a tendency to use big words. That's how I know he's a good doctor :)
It turns out that my sleepy memory of that call was pretty accurate, the tube he had in his mouth was leaking and causing his heart rate to fluctuate so they tried to remove him from the ventilator and put him on CPAP (Constant Positive Airway Pressure) which is the next step after the ventilator. He wasn't ready for it and it sounds like I'm glad I wasn't there when this happened. They had to put him back on the ventilator and we expect he'll have it until some time next week.
Hunter's nurse said there are several things that can cause this, but most have already been ruled out. He doesn't have pneumonia or an infection (good news) and most likely has Patent Ductus Arteriosus (heart murmur, not bad news). PDA is common in preemies and is easily treatable with either medication or a simple surgery. They've scheduled an echo cardiogram for later today to verify this is the cause.
I can't say today's been a good day for him so far. Because of this Hunter is no longer breathing on his own and is currently completely dependent on the ventilator. Also, he is off milk and back on IV food to protect him from intestinal infections. We're going back later tonight and hopefully they'll have done the echo by then and we'll know what's happening next.
Friday, December 21, 2007
One Step Back
Posted by Bobby at 3:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment