Monday, December 31, 2007

Another Day on the Oscillator

Yesterday we received news that Hunter would today be finally be getting off of the oscillator. I guess at some point in the middle of the night Hunter changed his mind. His oxygen saturation went down and they had to turn the settings on the oscillator way up. Now the machine is turned up higher than I ever remember it being and there is no longer a plan for removing the oscillator.

To get an idea of how much he changed overnight, the oxygen on his machine has been set around 30% since they put him on it. Regular air we breathe is 21% oxygen so he hasn't been much higher than that. When we left last night he was down to 25% and it was looking very promising that he'd be off that machine today. When we came in this morning they had turned it all the way up to 60% - SIXTY PERCENT!

By the time we left this evening they had been able to turn it down to 50%. Hopefully he's recovering from this setback well.

Mommy is very happy because last night she was able to do some "Mommy things" with Hunter. His nurse was getting ready to do her baby maintenance and asked Mommy if she wanted to help. She was able to change a poopy diaper, take his temperature, and feed him. He didn't enjoy it one bit though, he was making his screaming face the whole time. I wish I could have heard his scream, but with the tube down his throat he can't make any noise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob & Caitlin ~ It's Ann in VA...I want to first tell you that i love you all and that this WILL be ok! I love this blog b/c it keeps me connected to you all and I like the fact that we are all becoming more knowledgeable. Hunter is a miracle and a fighter and he will get through this...there are many praying for you all. I guess this teaches us that no matter what our assumptions are, we need to be prepared for whatever comes our way and as long as we have love and faith...in the end it will all be ok. You and Caitlin have enough love and strength to get through anything...including this! Hunter is a strong name and has made his mind up that he will fight this...no matter what b/c he knows that he is very very very loved......
Kisses and Hugs from me -
Aunt Ann

Bobby said...

Thank you Ann

We really appreciate everybody's prayers and support.

He is a strong little guy and he is fighting everything that's been thrown at him.