Fortunately today is a boring day for Hunter. He is getting better, the pneumonia is clearing up and they are continuing to wean him off of the oscillator.
Dr. Big Words came to talk to us today and was very excited to show us Hunter's new X-Rays. He told us to follow him because he had some "very good news." Remember the "very good news" part, it's important later on.
Mommy and I followed Dr. Big Words into the physician hideout, where they're usually watching Sports Center on a big flat-screen TV, and of course working on doctor stuff...
He pulled up Hunter's latest X-Rays and asked us, "What do you think?"
This was followed by an awkward silence where I guess he wanted us to diagnose our own son. I've seen a few of his X-Rays before so I could point out his lungs and his heart, but that is the extent of my ability to read X-Rays. Mommy points out that the lungs are shaped better, so I agree, "Oh yeah, that looks good."
Dr. Big Words looked at us as in a way that I knew exactly what he was thinking - "BUZZ! Wrong answer, try again."
He must have realized how helpless we were so he switched it to a multiple choice question, "Compared to yesterday, do these look worse, the same, or better?"
Ah ha! I can do multiple choice. This is where that comment from earlier comes in, "very good news." Based on that we answer "Better?"
DING DING - We Won!
And the prize was being able to see that Hunter is fighting off his infection. I need to study up on my X-Ray reading so the next time he shows us I'll be able to play along.
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Dr. Me
Posted by Bobby at 6:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Bobby, maybe you can bring your own DING DINGer, and be right every time.
I like that idea. Wouldn't that make everything so much easier?
"No Doctor, I'm right and you're wrong. I have a ding dinger"
*DING DING*
Dear Caitlin & Bob: You guys don't know me, I am MaryAnn's friend from NJ. My triplets were born at 26 weeks and went through all of the same stuff that Hunter is going thru. This is going to be a rollar coaster ride, but at the end, it will all have been worth it. My son, Matthew, was on a oscillator & does have BPD, but is doing very well with it & only uses an inhaler when needed. He's 7 now and in 2nd grade. Try to remember that Hunter is a miracle & has a great medical team who are determined to send him home with all of you! Keep praying & keep the faith! We'll be praying for you here in NJ! Lots of love, Cathy St. George (Pulsinelli)
Oh she knows ya Cath! Caitlin will be happy to hear from you, I've told her you were reading the blog.
Mary Ann
I just figured out that if you click on the picture it gets larger. Hunter sure does have a full head of blonde hair for such a little guy.
Always praying for all of you!
Mom (Mary Ann)
Post a Comment